Adventure prep for role-playing games is the main topic of this episode of The Lair of Secrets podcast. We discuss the dangers of too much prep vs. too little prep, and seek the Goldilocks prep time in between. After tackling individual adventures, we discuss prepping for a new campaign and tools to help with that. Finally, we apply what we’ve been discussing to our upcoming Scum and Villainy campaign.
But it’s not all adventure prep! Also in this episode, Ken turns 50 (thus catching up with David) and David’s feeling remarkably relaxed thanks to an enoyable holiday break. Geeky topics we discuss include swinging back into the Spider-verse, playing Red-Dead Redemption and Icarus, watching Matrix: Resurrections, catching up on Star Trek, and debating the merits of hand-drawn maps vs. computer generated ones.
- “Deck the Caves with Boughs of Chaos”
- Ken and his family had plans … and then came Omicron.
- Spider-verse Portal 2.0
- With his daughter home from college, Ken’s family watched a ton of Spider-man movies in anticipation of Spider-man: No Way Home
- This included Spider-man, Spider-man 2, Amazing Spider-Man, and Amazing Spider-Man 2.
- Meanwhile, Ken watched Venom: Let There Be Carnage on his own … which is really dumb
- But is it as dumb as Airplane vs. Volcano?
- The Chamber of Red Dead Doom
- Ken got Red Dead Redemption 2 … which is basically a western simulator.
- The Caverns of Kazeal
- Ken continues to struggle with drawing the Caverns of Kazeal for his Scales of Truth campaign.
- Do it by hand? Lay out Dungeon Tiles in the real world, then recreate in Roll20? Give up and find a pre-made map (nah, that’s just crazy talk)
- The Chamber of Holiday Calm
- David had a quiet and peaceful holiday with only one COVID scare.
- Hostile Environment Simulator
- David is playing Icarus, a “session-based PvE survival game for up to eight co-op players or solo.”
- The Puzzle Library
- Dave’s re-sparking his creative and fun side with puzzles and reading.
- Holochamber Redux
- Wait, didn’t we turn off the holochamber???
- David geeks out about The Matrix: Resurrections.
- Orbital Astro-Envisionator
Main Topic: Role-Playing Game Prep
- Game preparation
- Start at the campaign level, or the session level?
- Thinking about characters and NPCs
- Preparing for a game session
- Limited preparation
- Over preparation
- Goldilocks prep?
- Ken’s “Three-Page Manifesto for Game Prep”
- Preparing for a new campaign
- Campaign background helps make for shorter session prep
- Campaign Binder
- Prepping for Scum and Villainy
Thanks for listening. If you have feedback, we love feedback. You can send it to us at email@example.com or via Twitter @lairofsecrets. You can also visit lairofsecrets.com and leave us some feedback, topic ideas, or your own thoughts on what we’ve talked about.
Poster art for Spider-man: No Way Home.